From Mama Roza
If you are looking for a hearty fall meal, here is a great one! I had some chuck steak that was a little on the tough side, and wondered how to prepare it. This recipe didn’t disappoint! The meat was tender and the flavor terrific
Slow Cooker Chuck Steak
- 2/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 3-4 pounds chuck steak
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil (more if needed)
- 1+ onion/s, finely chopped
- 1 cup+of shredded carrots (or cubed)
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 28 oz. diced or crushed tomatoes (I used 1 pint of home made fire roasted salsa)
- Combine flour, dry mustard, salt, and ground pepper. Coat chuck steak (put in gallon zip lock bag and shake)
- Heat vegetable oilin a heavy skillet. When the oil is hot, brown meat on both sides.
- Place browned steak in a slow cooker.
- Add another tablespoon of oil into the now-empty skillet. Add onion and cook until softened–about 3 minutes
- Add carrots to the onions, and brown for a couple more minutes. Combine brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and tomatoeswith the carrots and onions. Stir together and pour over meat.
- If using a slow cooker, set to low for 6-9 hours.
- When the meat is fork-tender, remove it from the pot and set aside on a serving platter to rest. Cover with foil.
- Serve as is or with baked potatoes to soak up the juice. Yum!