My grandkids love Tater Tot Hot dish, but I’ve never been crazy about the processes canned soup in it (I only use it for emergencies), and I’m not a big potato eater. Here is a recipe that tastes a lot less processed, I could live with the tater tots, and has a little zing to it, however, I had to skip the black olives on the grandkid half!
Tater Tot Hot Dish with a SW Flare
• 1 pound ground beef
• 1 yellow onion, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
• 4.5 oz green chilis
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• ½ pack taco seasoning
• 3 cups tater tots, enough to cover dish
• 10 oz enchilada sauce
• 1 cup Mexican blend cheese, or mozzarella
• ½ cup sliced black olives
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Add the oil to a pan and heat on medium. Add diced onions and garlic – cook until tender. Remove to a bowl and set aside. Add beef to skillet and cook until completely browned, add taco seasoning and cook for another 4 minutes. Add onions and garlic back to beef and stir to combine. Pour the can of green chilis and enchilada sauce into the beef and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
3. Transfer the enchilada mixture from the skillet into a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Place tatertots on top. sprinkle the cheese and top with black olives. Bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and tatertots are golden brown. Add cilantro to the top. Enjoy!!