SANTA’S FAVORITE GINGER COOKIES
• 2 + 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 1/2 tablespoon ground ginger
• 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup butter, softened to room temperature
• 1/4 cup granulated sugar
• 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
• 1 large egg
• 1/4 cup molasses
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1/4 cup coarse sugar or granulated sugar
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Set aside.
2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugars using a hand mixer or stand mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
3. Add the egg and beat until incorporated. Then add molasses and vanilla and beat on low until combined.
4. Gradually add in the dry ingredients and beat until just combined.
7. Transfer coarse sugar into a small bowl. Then, scoop out 1-2 tablespoons of cookie dough at a time, and roll into 1-inch ball. Roll the cookie ball into the bowl of sugar to fully coat it. Place on the lined baking tray, spaced 2-3 inches apart.
8. Bake for 8-10 minutes until the edges are set. Remove from oven and allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Then transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool down completely. If the cookies have a dome to them and are not very crinkled (this can happen if your cookie dough has been chilled for too long), just before transferring to a wire cooling rack, gently press down on them using the back of a spatula so flatten them out a bit and create the crinkle effect. Then, transfer to the cooling rack to cool down completely.