Frost on the Pumpkins Cookies
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- ½ cup pumpkin puree (unsweetened – not pie filling)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar, for rolling
- 1 cup powdered sugar, for rolling
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper or spray with oil.
- Melt the butter and set aside to cool.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, eggs, pumpkin and vanilla until smooth. Add the butter and whisk until combined. Using a rubber spatula, fold in the flour mixture just until no dry ingredients remain visible. Set the cookie dough aside for 10 minutes.
- While the dough is resting, place the 2/3 cup granulated sugar in a shallow bowl. Place the powdered sugar in a separate shallow bowl.
- Drop about 2 T of cookie dough directly into the bowl with the granulated sugar. The dough is super soft so it won’t be like other sturdy cookie dough balls. Roll it around until covered. Place the sugared dough ball in the palm of your hand. Form your hand into a cup and gently roll the dough around until it forms a ball. Place in powdered sugar and roll to coat. Place the dough balls on the baking sheets, at least 2-inches apart.
- Bake for 14 minutes or until the cookies are puffy, and cracks have formed. The cookies will still be soft and look a little raw in-between the cracks. Allow the cookies to cool for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.